Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow



"Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting." -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I come from a pretty political family. And by political, I don't mean Kennedy-esque. I mean a family that is divided, likes to debate, and takes voting seriously.

I remember being a little girl and tagging along with my mom as she went to vote at our local elementary school. Standing in the old school voting booth (this was way before everything became high tech, kiddos) waiting as my mother methodically went through the ballot was always so fascinating and special to me.

That fascination remains even as an adult. There is a buzz about Election Day. I love it and flaunting my "I voted!" sticker.

About six weeks ago, I startled awake in the middle night remembering back four years ago and waiting in line for two hours to cast my vote (wearing 2" heels none-the-less). "Holy crap, November 8th is the Presidential Election and I have a baby," my mind began to race. "There is no way I am waiting for two hours with an infant." "I have to set a good example since this is the year she is born." "How did I forget about this until now?" "Where's my phone I need to look at vote.org"

The next day I applied for my absentee ballot.

As a new mom, I appreciate the years I went with my mom to vote and cannot wait to share those same experiences with my daughter! Most importantly to teach her the importance of voting, that one day women weren't allowed to do so, and don't let anyone ever tell you that your vote doesn't count.

With November just around the corner, I hope that all the mamas out there (new and old) will take time out of juggling motherhood and lead by example because our children are tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.


No comments